Social Impact Internships: Jeffrey Kwon (’26)

I thought it would be more effective to write out the individual thoughts in my head rather than try to write an essay or report, as it would be easier to cover the wide range of thoughts I had about my internship this summer. The illustration represents a partitioned view of my journey, making clear the shift in my attitudes, thoughts, and beliefs at different timepoints throughout this summer. Thus, I chose an infographic-like illustration split into three sections: before, during, and after the internship. Everything I brought to the internship at its start – including my curiosities, knowledge, and prior experiences – combined with the tools I had access to throughout my internship (statistical software, literature review screening platform, graphing tools) to eventually enable me to gain knowledge of how to approach psychosocial research as well as the confidence to continue working in the field of medicine (clinically and or with regards to research). I now leave my time with my host, Massachusetts General Hospital’s Center of Excellence for Psychosocial and Systemic Research, with a bigger desire to address inconsistencies in accessing healthcare for disadvantaged socioeconomic groups in future opportunities.

Read Jeffrey Kwon’s reflection of their IAP:Health ’23 experience here.

Tags: Social Impact Internships, Social Impact Internships Summer 2023